25 augustus 2016

Developing disc film

Here is set-up for developing a Kodak disc film for people who don't have a dark room. I admit it's not very elegant, but then I found my first exposed disc in a second-hand camera so the images had no sentimental value for me. Besides, the image counter was at 5 when I found it, so even in the best of scenarios there are only 4 exposed shots on this film. Plenty of room for an experiment I'd say.
When I saw the actual size of the cartridge, I reckoned I could jam the entire disc into a Paterson reel. And this worked, it gives a neat fit, see the image below. After that, you can easily develop the disc in regular C-41. There is a very good tutorial for beginners about this on Flickr. Since the disc is jammed tight, agitation is no problem.
All I have to do now is find a way to scan negatives 1-4. Easier said than done. And Kodak disc film was discontinued on 31 December 1999, so even if there is something there, it will probably not be very spectacular.
Disc film (Wikipedia)